Sunday, March 8, 2009

Repentance does (not) last long

Every single time I have screwed up (read underperformed) any of my examination papers, I have prayed (and prayed hard) to the Almighty to get me across (read 'get me more marks than I deserve') 'this one time' with a promise 'to study hard(er) hereafter'. Almost all my prayers got answered - be it Geography in Std. VII, Physics in Std. IX, Mathematics in Std. XI, Biology in Std. XII, my BBA entrance test at Symbi, and all my zoology papers across 3 years, and final call from NMIMS (here my praying efforts supplemented those of my Mom)! At times, he was more than generous for letting me top (in final semester at Xavier's) and most of the times I wasn't disappointed.   

Two exceptions did exist - One being my botany (subsidiary) paper in Sem 1 which also happens to be the only academic paper that I flunked in my life :); the other one being my PMTs, where without having toiled I expected my god to see me through. Unarguably, I don't regret not having cleared my PMTs – coz if I would have, I would have , by now, jumped (under stress and immaculate amount of tension)  from  6th floor of some medical college, and worse, I would not have been writing this blog! 

I responded by paying a 'thanksgiving' visit to ‘Pahari Mandir’, a temple of Lord Shiva situated on the hills of Ranchi. The tradition was unbroken, until yesterday.    

Yesterday I was quite relieved not to see my name in the list of Financial Analytics 'disasters'. Besides, I yet again got a GPA which, I feel, was more than what I deserved. So I once again cleared a paper, FA, but this time was denied an opportunity to thank my lord. So I was wondering that as I 'defaulted' on this 'payment', my 'account' with lord might be declared a 'Non-performing asset' and that I might not be entitled to any 'disbursements' in future. (Gosh! I can actually write for some business newspaper).   

So I have decided on two things - the payment which I have just defaulted on would be deposited, with interest, on my next visit to my hometown (core 'banking' solution is yet to reach temples in Ranchi); and  not to rely on borrowings (read prayers) any more to see me through in my examinations. GPAs for second trimester are out and i have shown some marginal improvement. Still, to take my CGPA to a 'respectable' level that sees me through the placement season next year, I have decided to study (hard), and to complement it with my prayers, of course.    

Bol bam!

1 comment:

  1. awesome at its best... :D

    reminds me of a similar account of mine in hyd.. :D

    ReplyDelete